twitter
    Follow DWP on Twitter!!!

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Big Swell Hits Cali...Local Surfers Rip it Up, But Sadly Some Local Shit Heads Live Up to Reputation






Once again on reports of a WNW swell I ventured up to Palos Verdes. PV Cove, Indicator, Pipes, and Tubes all were breaking big, and the surfers/local crowd really friendly. A few even asked for my card and exchanged emails. Lunada Bay was quite the opposite.

As many mentioned they are apt to be, the locals at Lunada were very, very vocal about my camera. After a a few face to face sessions shouting at me, heckling, and a couple open ended threats, the 5 guys in their late 30's/early 40's called in local reinforcements. Once they started showing up...I decided I'd be better off leaving. Of course I waited another 20+ minutes for a lull in the surf, hoping to give the impression I was leaving under my own volition due to lack of quality. Waves were better at Indicator anyways.

I suppose 1 confrontation out of 3 visits is not so bad, but I got the strong impression that whenever the real swells hit, these guys are there, and they're probably the exact same schmucks who attacked that news crew in the 90s.

Most everyone else I crossed paths with today were nothing but amiable, so hopefully these guy's mentalities are not passing off onto the younger generation. That'd be a shame. I'll definitely be heading back there in the future, but maybe with a rental car next time, just in case...

Check out images from today's sessions from breaks where the locals WERE friendly on our:

No comments:

Post a Comment